Winfield Masons Historic Photos
The panoramic photo above was taken of downtown Winfield in 1910. The view on the left hand side is looking west on 9th Street. On the right is 9th Street looking east. The center of the photo just below the A.F. & A.M., is looking north on Main Street, and directly below the ambersand (&) in "A. F. & A. M." is the S. H. Myton Building which became the Winfield Masonic Lodge #110 in 1920. The color inset is a partial segment of the great stained glass window of the lodge.
The Lagonda Hotel was completely refurbished by S. S. "Sid" Majors, renamed the Central Hotel (right), and re-opened September 18, 1876. The photo on the right is as it appeared in 1877. It burned completely down on May 3, 1880. The lot was purchased by S. H. Myton on March 28, 1883 and he began planning the building for his hardware and implement store, the current home of Winfield Masonic Lodge.
Thanks to the Winfield Courier, Arkansas City Traveler, and the Cowley County Historical Society for the information and photo.
Winfield Masonic Lodge
The S.H. Myton Building (left) as it appeared circa 1890. It housed the S.H. Myton Hardware and Implement store and had a tin shop in the basement. Winfield Masonic Lodge #110 rented the top floor as their lodge. They outfitted it to be the finest Masonic Hall in Southern Kansas. Photo curtesy of the Winfield Courier.
The Winfield Masons purchased the S. H. Myton Building (left) on February 17, 1920 and rented the first floor to the Goodwin Motor Company, a Chevrolet dealership. This is an ad for the Goodwin Motor Company (left) owned by J. Ballard Goodwin a member and 1920 Past Master of Winfield Lodge #110. He also served as Commander of the York Rite Knight Templars in 1924 (right).
Notice the addition of stained glass windows on the top floor, J. Ballard Goodwin's auto dealership on the ground floor, and gas pump on the street. (below left)At some time after this photo (left) was taken a fire escape was added and the basement windows were filled in with stone due to the extreme flooding conditions Winfield has experienced in the past. The Winfield Masons are dedicated to the care and preservation of this historic building.
The photo to the right is how our lodge appears today. The lodge still occupies the top floor and the Hometown True Value Hardware and Bradbury Kitchen and Home Stores occupy the ground floor.
|These photos are early prints of the interior of the lodge. The date of these photos is unknown. They were probably taken sometime in the 1940's, or 50's. They were found laid up among the records in the archives of the lodge.|
Our Cherished Museum Pieces
Winfield Masonic Lodge #110 is proud of it's heritage and has collected a few priceless artifacts throughout it's history. In addition to these photos the lodge library has many volumes of past meeting minutes and bound Grand Lodge proceedings.
These panels were created by A. T. Wisdom and presented to his son-in-law Charles M. Wallace and Mathew Alexander and by them to Winfield Masonic Lodge #58. They are made of mother of pearl and gold leaf. It is not known when these panels were created but since it is known that Winfield Masonic Lodge #58 became Winfield Masonic Lodge #110 in 1903 these panels must have been created sometime before that date.
York Rite Uniforms, Costumes, and Regalia
Winfield Masonic Lodges York Rite bodies have a fine collection of degree work costumes, Knight Templar uniforms and other regalia. These antique vestiges have been left to us by our benefactors who have set down the working tools of life and have passed from time to eternity. We are grateful for their bequest.
More Photos to Come